My dear friend/my neighbor from Jordan made this for me before in Ramadan. Ramadan is an important month for all muslims when they fast from sunrise to sunset. Yeah! so it is challenging in the summer time. However, it is all worth it when you take the first bite in that dish. It is a musical symphony in my mouth, the highlighted flavor comes from the tanginess of the lime and tahini with the subtle flavors of calrose rice and fried pita with fresh garlic. OK! I said enough, now let’s get to the details.
- 2 pita bread
- oil for frying the pita bread
- 1 cup of shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 3 gloves of thinly minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt for the sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini for the sauce (sesame paste, if not found, you can skip it, however it adds tons of flavors)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice for the sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar for the sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika for the sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for the sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin for the sauce
- salt and pepper
For the sauce, add the yogurt to a medium bowl with the tahini, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and mix until it becomes close to the pancake consistency. If too thick, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water.
Break the pita bread down into medium piece, fry in hot olive oil. Sprinkle the garlic powder and black pepper on them as soon as they get out of the fryer.
Now, the layers! Add one layer of rice, one layer of pita, one layer of rice then the yogurt mix. For extra kick, add some roasted pine nuts or almonds on the top. Enjoy 🙂